Victoria - The Freight State
About the plan
Victoria - The Freight State (the Plan) outlines the long term strategy to improve freight efficiency, grow productivity and better connect Victorian businesses with their markets, whether local, national or international.
The Plan is supported by a series of key directions, strategies and actions intended to provide greater certainty to the private sector and to help inform business planning and investment decisions. These have been developed through extensive data and evidence gathering and by listening to the views of stakeholders, including those businesses operating in the freight and logistics sector, those which depend on efficient freight movements and the local government community.
Long term vision
The Plan uses forecast modelling of future growth and trends to provide detailed scenarios of the freight and logistics sector up to 2050. The information has been captured through multiple independent analysis and all measurements indicate that the freight task is estimated to roughly triple in size by 2050.
This growth, faster than population growth and broadly in line with economic growth, presents a major challenge if Victoria is to maintain a strong and competitive freight and logistics sector.
The Plan provides a set of detailed Strategies and Actions to meet these challenges.
Strategies and actions
To meet future challenges the Plan contains strategies and actions proposed for implementation over the next one to five years involving a combination of project delivery, project planning, network efficiency and regulatory reform initiatives.
These strategies and actions are designed to ensure Victoria is able to meet the long-term goals and objectives of the Plan in a flexible and affordable manner.
The strategies and actions have been developed on the basis of extensive technical studies and evidence gathering, including consultation input from a wide range of industry stakeholders through the Ministerial Freight Advisory Council (MFAC) and a series of ten 'roundtables' conducted across metropolitan and regional Victoria with many key stakeholders.
All projects/initiatives requiring budget funding will be subject to future Government consideration in relation to budget capacity, business cases and the rigorous use of cost-benefit analysis.
The strategies and actions cover:
- freight gateway capacity
- better use of the freight network
- an efficient freight network
- land use planning and protections
- planning for efficient and sustainable urban freight movements
- planning for efficient and sustainable regional freight movements
- Victorian Freight and Logistics Plan launch August 2013
Victoria - The Freight State plan
- Victoria - The Freight State (PDF, 12.4 MB, 100 pp.)
- Victoria - The Freight State (DOC, 7.0 MB, 84 pp.)
Victoria - The Freight State fact sheets
- Victoria – The Freight State: Freight Gateways (PDF, 372.7 KB, 3 pp.)
- Victoria – The Freight State: Freight Gateways (DOC, 377.5 KB, 3 pp.)
- Victoria – The Freight State: Roads (PDF, 1014.8 KB, 3 pp.)
- Victoria – The Freight State: Roads (DOC, 443.0 KB, 3 pp.)
- Victoria – The Freight State: Rail (PDF, 543.6 KB, 3 pp.)
- Victoria – The Freight State: Rail (DOC, 312.5 KB, 2 pp.)
- Victoria – The Freight State: Regional (PDF, 295.6 KB, 3 pp.)
- Victoria – The Freight State: Regional (DOC, 1.7 MB, 3 pp.)
For more information contact the Freight, Logistics and Marine Division.