Investing in Transport report (2008)
Transport expert Sir Rod Eddington was commissioned by the previous Victorian Government to conduct an independent study into improving east-west transport connections across Melbourne. His team carried out extensive research, modelling and analysis.
The final report, Investing in Transport, was released in March 2008.
Investing in Transport: Overview
This overview presents a summary of the key findings, analysis and modelling undertaken during the study, as well as the recommendations made to the Victorian Government. A comprehensive discussion of these issues is contained in the main report and in the specialist consultant reports listed below.
- Investing in Transport Overview (PDF, 10.4 MB, 96 pp.)
- Investing in Transport Overview (DOC, 10.0 MB, 91 pp.)
- Investing in Transport: Main report (PDF, 35.1 MB, 295 pp.)
- Overview and summary of findings
- Chapter 1: Melbourne - a changing and growing city
- Chapter 2: Mobility matters
- Chapter 3: Public transport - on a roll
- Chapter 4: Melbourne's roads - more traffic, more congestion
- Chapter 5: East-West road travel
- Chapter 6: Moving goods - the growing freight task
- Chapter 7: Public transport and the Doncaster corridor
- Chapter 8: Transport and the environment
- Chapter 9: The way forward
- Chapter 10: Funding and delivery options
- Appendices, acronyms and references
Supporting technical documents
The following documents were prepared during the study and date from 2007 and 2008 and are available as reference material only.
Note: due to the complexity of maps in these documents, they may take some time to download.
Environment & heritage
- Meyrick and Associates - Transport and the Economy (PDF, 877 KB, 91 pp.)
- Meyrick and Associates - Economic Benefits and Costs Analysis (PDF, 273 KB, 56 pp.)
Transport planning & costing
- SKM Maunsell/Evans & Peck - Transport Supply and Demand (Existing and Future) (PDF, 11 MB, 187 pp.)
- SKM Maunsell/Evans & Peck - Engineering Design and Costing (PDF, 25 MB, 126 pp.)
Demographics, social & land use
- SGS Economics & Planning - Demographic, Social and Land Use Analysis (PDF, 11 MB, 93 pp.)
- SGS Economics & Planning - The East-West Transport Link, Urban Structure and Victoria’s Prosperity (PDF, 2.4 MB, 47 pp.)
- SGS Economics & Planning - Demographic, Social and Land Use - Final Options Assessment (PDF, 7.8 MB, 66 pp.)
Commercial & financial
- Ernst & Young - First report (Phase 1) (PDF, 697 KB, 46 pp.)
- Ernst & Young - Second report (Phase 3) (PDF, 691 KB, 41 pp.)
- Veitch Lister Consulting - Background Modelling Assumptions (PDF, 1.8 MB, 35 pp.)
- Veitch Lister Consulting - Zenith Model Establishment and Validation Report (PDF, 1.7 MB, 35 pp.)
- EWLNA Study Team - Folio of Modelling Outputs (PDF, 38 MB, 116 pp.)